The story of Hanukkah invites us to kindle lights in the darkness, and to overcome despair with hope and action. In this spirit, Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum reflects on the extraordinary work of her community, and how it embodies the fundamental connection between spiritual life and social activism.
This podcast is produced by Reconstructing Judaism. Visit us at ReconstructingJudaism.org.Support Hashivenu
- 18 Rituals for Social Activism from Ritualwell — Below are 18 rituals which address, inspire, and motivate social activism, as recommended by Ritualwell.
- House of Peace Jewish-Muslim Outreach
- Jews And Muslims Come Together In These Touching Photos — On a recent Friday, members of Congregation Beit Simchat Torah (CBST) arrived at the Islamic Center at New York University in ponchos and rain boots. They dried their laminated signs that read, “Jewish New Yorkers support our Muslim neighbors,” and greeted worshippers attending the weekly Jummah Prayer.
- CBST: Building a Bold Spiritual Community of Resistance and Love | Congregation Beit Simchat Torah — CBST is engaging in a process of discerning what it will be to be a powerful spiritual community of resistance and love. This is a marathon - as Heschel said in 1944 - just as evil as the forces of fascism are, we must be as forcefully good.
- Shabbat at Congregation Beit Simchat Torah